Information for Young Writers
The Word Detective is the free online version of an internationally syndicated newspaper column answering readers' questions about words and language (primarily word and phrase origins) since 1953. More than 180 previously-posted columns are available in our fully-indexed archive, and reader questions are encouraged (with the exception of any question concerning "gry").
- Children's Literature Web Guide
- Jane Austen Information Page
- Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Mark Twain on the Web
- Children's Book Council
- Starfall - A site for young readers to improve their skills through simple games.
- Magazines by and/or for Kids
- American Girl
- Homeschool Gazette This site encourages Christian homeschooled youth (ages 5-14), in reading and creative writing skills.
- Sports Illustrated for Kids
- Time for Kids
- Reference Helps
- Bartlett, John. 1901. Familiar Quotations - Lookup a famous quote with this great search feature.
- Library of Congress
- Myths and Legends of Indigenous Peoples
- Online Books
- OneLook Dictionaries - 5,990,011 words in 963 dictionaries indexed.
- Project Bartleby: The Public Library of the Internet
- Roget's Thesaurus
- Merriam-Webster Online
- Webster's Dictionary - Online and searchable.
- Stories and Books On-Line
- A Little Princess - by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- The Call of the Wild - by Jack London